Tuesday, July 8, 2008

McDonalds

Okay, I'm ashamed. I have been to McDonalds while here in Germany.

But something interesting happened. I am a bit of a fan of there Milkshakes. I drank one (and nothing else to eat or drink) and noticed my heart rate went up for no reason (about 115 bpm).

I thought it might be something else, so I tried it again a few days later, and again it was about the same.

I then looked into the nutritional info for a large chocolate milkshake that is my usual sin:

****************************
Calories: 500 (Shite - that's nearly a meal!)
Fat: 13 grams of fat (9 of them saturated)

Milkshake Base
Milk, Sugar, Whey Powder, Glucose Syrup, Cream
(40% Butterfat), Stabiliser (E412 Guar Gum, E407
Carageenan- (Standardised with sugars), Dextrose,
E410 Locust Bean Gum.

Chocolate Flavour Milkshake Syrup
Glucose Syrup, Water, Glucose-Fructose Syrup,
Reduced Fat Cocoa Powder (6.6%), Acidulant
(E338 Phosphoric Acid), Colour (E150 Caramel),
Caramel Sugar Syrup, Salt, Flavour, Butter Fat,
Cocoa Mass, Acidulant (E330 Citric Acid),
Emulsifier (E322 Soya Lecithin), Preservative (E202
Potassium Sorbate).

Source: www.mcdonalds.co.uk
****************************

I must admin, I have no idea of whether or not I am 'food sensitive' to any of these E numbers (It could all be in my head!). But I think the calories are enough to put me off for a while.

Note to self: Watch 'Super size me' DVD again when you get back to the UK.

No comments: