Sunday, July 6, 2008

More Köln - Museum Ludwig

I thought this warranted a post all of its own. I'm not usually the Museum going type, but in my quick planning, I noticed that Ludwig had some Picaso and Dali - both of which I have always wanted to see. Anyway, I go around the museum (sorry no pics allowed) and I am met with some great Picaso stuff, and a great Dali painting called "la gare de perpignan" (which is probably now my favourite over the Hallucinogenic Toreador).

Anyway, a little wondering around and I was completely taken off guard by a painting by Heinrich Hoerle called "Denkmal der unbekannten Prothesen".

I bought a post card of it and took a pic (I was going to google it, but I want to use my own photos :0)
So why is this important to me? Well, one of my favourite books is "A brave new world" by Aldous Huxley, and this picture was used as the cover of the addition I had and I remember really liking it. Being 18 when I read it I didn't really think about where it came from or who did it (at 18, I probably thought it was cover artwork for the book!). As the copy of this has long since been lost I never really thought about it much again, until I saw it yesterday when a lot of memories came flooding back. I just thought it was really cool to see the real thing.

Only a minor foot note in the history of Matt Rowley, but it was a familar bit of home that I was not expecting to see.

No comments: