Thursday, July 10, 2008

Starting to speak German (albeit very slowly)

Okay, I had a romantic notion that I would turn up in Germany and within a few weeks I would be speaking German to some degree (I'm not sure how this would magically happen, but I thought it would).

I know a lot of words (more than you would think!), but the verbs have been doing me over (mainly due to the fact that my schooling was that poor that we didn't learn any Grammer - so I'm not very familiar with all of the English grammatical terms). Anyway, with help from Herr Franke and co. I am starting to speak in sentences. I am rarely right first time at the moment, but a step in the right direction as the meaning is there. I probably sound like 'Door open would you like me to?'

I was reminded of a few quotes though today which made me smile. One of which being:

"Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One piece at a time."

I think that is how languages are - I'm going to have to finally admit to myself that 2 months isn't quite enought to become fully fluent.

Watch out in the coming week - I'm going to start putting stuff on here in German.

1 comment:

Ben Neal said...

lol. i think i've used your "Q: How do you eat an elephant? A: One piece at a time." quote about 5 times when teaching since i heard it from you.

I'm learning Spanish - look out for Michel Thomas's CD's he's a language expert and can have you speaking in sentances in an hour. I have his Spanish one at the mo. REALLY amazing. I also got the whole basic & advanced course free from a Torrent site... uTorret - supplier of amazing illegal free stuff since 1805